GRAND LAREDO - BRAKE LIGHTS NOT WORKING

2001 Jeep Cherokee

Please help!

I have 2001 Jeep Grand cherokee Laredo. My brake do not work when I turn on the headlights, but turn on when headlights are off.

The top brake light works. I have changed the brake switch and replaced all bulbs. To no avail.

Any suggestions or solution will be greatly appreciated.
Njha32

I have a Jeep GC 2000 that had the same problem. I didn't notice it till a kind soul shouted at an intersection that my brake lights were off! In NYC, it is illegal to have non-functional headbeams and brake lights. Luckily, searching Google, I found a fix that worked for me. Here's a copy of the procedure: 1. Remove the tail light assembly. Most of you know how to remove the light assembly if you've changed bulbs, so I won't cover that.

2. Disconnect the wiring harness by sliding the red locking clip to the side in order to press the side of the male connector and pull apart.

3. Once you've got the tail assembly away from the vehicle and on a bench, remove the light socket for the tail/brake light. You will see 3 silver contact points inside the black plastic ring. 2 are grouped together and there is one that is opposite of the 2. The one by itself is the ground; the other two are the contacts for the tail light and brake light. The problem lies with the ground connector. (BTW, I tested continuity with all lights and contacts including the turn signal and the reverse light to verify that the circuit board itself was good, and it was).

4. Clean all contacts with a Q-Tip and some sort of contact cleaner - rubbing alcohol will work.

5. You should notice that the ground contact is depressed into the plastic and the plastic itelf is slightly warped down. I was able to use a small pair of needle nose pliers that have a 45 degree angle to press up on the contact from underneath using the opposite lip of the hole as leverage (very carefully). Once it had moved up a bit, I was able to wedge a mini-flathead screwdriver in between the metal contact and the plastic to force the contact up even further (again, very carefully). Once it looked even with the rest, gently reinsert the connector and test.

Good Luck!

Benny Vega
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L

Bvega
Thanks for all your help. I will try it this weekend. However, I have one question - why would a bad ground effect both side of the tail light.

Good Luck!

Benny Vega
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L[/quote]

Njha32
Thanks so much for the info on this page. I had this problem and instead of spending big bucks on a new assembly decided to try this fix. It almost worked. We cleaned the contacts and bent them up slightly but still had the problem. The solution was to first find the socket that was not working and line up the contacts. We did this by seating the lamp and turning it to it's locked position and then slowly moving the lamp in the opposite unlocked direction until proper contact was made. So far so good.

Thanks!

Stingrayboy
Benny - I joined the forum just to thank you so much for this answer! It resolved my problem on my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo where the left brake light was not working. With the parking lights on, the left brake light started working and the right brake light went out.

Your description above was, point-for-point, exactly the same as my experience. I bent the ground tab up on the left brake bulb's socket and voila - they both work with the running lights on or off!

Thanks again!
-Mike

MidnightGuru