HEATER SETTINGS

1999 Jeep Cherokee

Heater problem
1999 Jeep Cherokee V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

Alll the heater settings and fan settings work except the defrost setting that setting will only blow out very little air regadeless of the fan speed setting.
Ljhopp

In this case, you are most likely looking for a vacuum leak. The vent doors that direct the air are actuated by vacuum. Check under the dash for leaks, damaged hoses, or disconnected hoses to the system. NOTE: With the engine running, you may actually be able to hear a hissing sound where the leak is coming from.

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.

Well I found the problem. On the driver side floor on the top right side their is a white lever. That white lever has something attached to it and that is the part that broke. When I move that lever up and down it will turn the defrost vents on or off. But what is the part that I will need to reconnect that lever back up.

Ljhopp
The part that I need is the mode door actuator lever assembly parts. Now all I have to do is find who sells these parts so I can buy them.

Ljhopp
That is going to be a dealer part or you can get one from a salvage yard. I feel confident you'll find one in a salvage yard, and it will save you some money.

Let me know if you can't find one.

I had a similar problem I had heat only on one side of the vents It was actuator assembly and it comes all one peice which works alot of diferent vents and plus vacume it is a dealer item plus most likely a dealer job the entire dash needs to be removed to change this actuator where I live the dealer charged $800.00 bucks it was 8 to 10 hour job. Sorry good luck

Ferrari 1
Actutally I found a diagram on how to change this part and it is very simple just a few minor lever assembly parts that need to be put back in place. The dealers always charge outragious amounts when I called a dealer to ask about the problem the first they said it was a blend door and that the price was about 1200 when I told him it wasn't a hot cold issue and stated some facts he said oh yah that part is part of the mode door and asked I if I wanted to make a appointment I stated no thanks bye.

Ljhopp
That is what I like to hear! If you run into any trouble, let me know and we'll figure it out together.

Thanks again for using 2carpros. Com and I wish you a great new year!