BAD MASTER CYLINDER?

1995 Jeep Cherokee

Brakes problem
1995 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 164000 miles

On my drive home the other day I had to slam on the brakes, which worked and felt fine. When I came to the next stoplight the brake pedal was very spongy. By the time I got home the pedal was nearly going to the floor but still stopping. Checked the brake fluid and it was empty, so I thought I busted a line some where. So I fluid the fluid and pumped the brakes for about 10 min and found no leaks and fluid still full. I then bleed the brake lines and went for a short drive. Brake pedal got stiff when pumped up but lost pressure as I drove. Any ideas would be great before I spend $$$$ at the brake shop. Thank you
Trucks22

Sounds like a leak somewhere. Look around the backing plates for any signs of a wheel cylinder that let go. Sometimes it will stream onto the tire.

To check the master cylinder, plug the holes for the lines with fittings. It should be high and hard. Your pedal that is.