CAR STOPS WILL NOT START

2002 Jaguar XK8

2002 Jaguar XK8 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 42000 miles

I have had a number of times that my Jaguar XK8 will stop and when I turn the key nothing happens. Battery is new and they have replaced 2 starter switches. In two weeks after the last switch I turned off the car and when I tried to start it again nothing. No gauges no electrical. They tried replacing the switch again but this time it did not correct the problem. The mechanic said he has checked the wires and starter motor but does not have an analyzer. Unfortunately I have little faith in my closest Jaguar dealer.
Do you have any ideas?
Craig Ebner

Hi
Check high power fuses in trunk next to battery. See if the 500 amp and the 250 amp are good.
Let me know
Thanks for donate

Docfixit
The high current fuses are OK

Craig Ebner
I have additional info on the problem that might help.
It appeared that the battery(although new) needed to be charged. When charged I got a quick flash indication of all the status lights on the dash ( engine symbol etc) but then they go out again and it will not start but battery appears to be down in charge

Craig Ebner
What is voltage of battery across posts? It is possible battery has a dead cell oe a shorted cell. Try new battery or jump.

Docfixit
I was able to jump start the car with a 500 AMP jumper but it soon stopped which I assume means the battery is discharged. It is a new battery within 6 weeks. Could it be the altenator not charging or starter motor draining the battery?

Thank You
Craig

Craig Ebner
Alternator most likely can't test till good battery is in car. When good batt is installed check starter draw and alt output.
Let me know

Docfixit
Found it was one of the ignition relays that was bad. The battery is fine.

Thank You for your assistance

Craig

Craig Ebner
Good to hear you did a good diagnostic job.

Docfixit