THROTTLE BODY REPLACEMENT

1999 Jaguar Vanden Plas

1999 Jaguar Vanden Plas V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120k miles

Intermittent sas/traction control fail going to limp home mode. Stopgap cleaning per Jaguar - no effect. Throttle body should have been replaced by dealer according to Jag TSB - but not done. I have located 2 throttle bodies - but not 1999 VDP. Have been told that 1999-2001 were same and will work - but some say no I have to have a 1999 one. What is the story? Also cannot find any info on-line from anyone on throttle body replacement procedures for above car (have s and x type but no j8). Help?
49markvman

Hello –

As for the parts replacement. What I show for the 1999 is part number C2A001444. Now that same part number is used for the 2000 and 2001 but it has a note that says “w/air assisted fuel injection” and then other part numbers for other TBs.

So my thought is yes – they will work “IF” you get the correct one. I would check with the dealer to make sure the part numbers do cross though – they may have more up to date info.

I guess since it isn’t a recall that is why the dealer will not replace? Do you have or want a copy of the TSB?

Here is the info I have on R& R the TB.

THROTTLE BODY

Removal & Installation (S-Type 3.0L)

1. Release cooling system pressure. Remove air intake duct from throttle body. Disconnect TPS harness connector. Remove throttle body bolts. Disconnect coolant hoses and remove throttle body.

2. To install, reverse removal procedure. Use a NEW throttle body gasket and tighten throttle body bolts to 89 INCH lbs. (10 N.M). Refill cooling system as necessary.

Removal & Installation (S-Type 4.0L)

1. Remove engine cover. Disconnect IAT sensor harness connector. Disconnect engine breather hoses from air intake duct. Remove air intake duct retaining nut and remove air intake duct.

2. Disconnect TPS and throttle actuator harness connectors. Detach wire harness from throttle body support bracket. Remove throttle body support bracket bolts and remove bracket. Remove throttle body bolts and remove throttle body.

3. To install, reverse removal procedure. Use a NEW throttle body gasket and tighten bolts to 89 INCH lbs. (10 N.M).

Thank you very much for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
Thanks for the info. However, no dealer has been able to tell me for sure about the part numbers or compatability - the other " experts" are evenly divided on yes and no. Even my buddy who is a manager for Jaguar in England (I raced for Jaguar a number of years) cannot locate that info. And the replacement info you gave was right off the web site and did not include the XJ8 for some reason - is it because the replacement procedure is different? Thanks for the answer though.

49markvman
Hello –

Wow – I find that odd that the dealer doesn’t know……and if your buddy who is a manager can’t get the info – man – that’s more classified than the space shuttle info……..

Also the note at the bottom is interesting.....

NOTE: Removal and installation procedures for 1999-2000 models are not available from manufacturer.

Hey that is neat! Got any pics of your car you can attach so folks can see?

I am not sure – it doesn’t appear to be other than the last one I have attached…….it talks about the kick down switch………

I have attached all the part info I have access to showing you what I was talking about for those 3 years……

Hope this helps you out.

THROTTLE BODY
Removal & Installation (S-Type 3.0L)
2. To install, reverse removal procedure. Use a NEW throttle body gasket and tighten throttle body bolts to 89 INCH lbs. (10 N.m). Refill cooling system as necessary.

Removal & Installation (S-Type 4.0L)

3. To install, reverse removal procedure. Use a NEW throttle body gasket and tighten bolts to 89 INCH lbs. (10 N.m).

Removal (1998 XJR, XJ8 & XK8)

1. Disconnect negative battery cable. Remove air cleaner cover and air intake duct as an assembly. Disconnect vacuum hose and 3 harness connectors from throttle body. Disconnect throttle cable from throttle body.
2. Disconnect and plug 2 coolant hoses from throttle body. Disengage wire harness connector from bracket on left side of throttle body assembly. Remove 4 throttle body bolts and remove throttle body.

Installation

1. To install, reverse removal procedure. Use a NEW gasket and tighten bolts to 13-18 ft. lbs. (18-24 N.m). Ensure there is no tension or slack in throttle cable.
2. Check kickdown switch adjustment and adjust as necessary. See AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SERVICING - JAGUAR article in TRANSMISSION SERVICING.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_1j_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_2_99.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_3_11.jpg

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS
Hey – forgot to attach – were you aware of the recall? This may apply to you……

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_4_51.jpg

Thank you very much for the donation

ImpalaSS