ROUGH IDLE TO FAST IDLE TO STALLING OUT

Isuzu Other

I have an 1986 Isuzu Pup, 1.9L 1bbl carb on it and has 126000 miles on it. Replaced cap, rotor, plugs, and wires, had belts tightened. My truck runs over 2000 - 2500 rpm cold, and will drop to 2100 rpm, but, then dips down to 1800 rpm and will begin to stall. Pushing on the gas makes it feel like it's either misfiring or something else wierd. I also get a smell of a gassy type exhaust smell. Cat converter is good, no wierd leaks. Can only think it's the carb. Do I need to replace it or get it rebuilt or does it need a simple adjustment?
Dustinaharp

Try adjusting the initial choke opening and the fast idle cam- choke plate might not be opening or the fast idle is stuck-

Try spraying carb cleaner on all linkages and inspect for any binding parts and make sure all vacuum hose are connected and not leaking

Ok, what do I need to do in order to do that? I'm not mechanically inclined here. If it were a computer, I could strip and repair it blind folded. But, a carb is something totallly alien to me. Can you give me step by step instructions, please?

Dustinaharp
Disregard all the recommended adjustments above proceed below.

I did some checking on your truck-it has a feedback Carb. To do it right you need a repair manual you can get in here if you wish.

Check the mixture control solenoid and fuel cut solenoid-try cleaning it up could be gummed-up and fuel varnished.

Ok, so, can you guide through the process? And, do you reccomend any good mechanics in the Montgomery, Alabama Area or the Milton, Florida Area?

Dustinaharp
I don't think I can walk you thru the process. A feed back carb can be a nightmare and requires the use of a dwell meter for the mixture control solenoid-you best shot is take it to a reputable shop that does engine performances daily. Either that or get a New carb.