DO I NEED A NEW FUEL FILTER OR PUMP?

2000 Infiniti I30

2000 Infiniti I30 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 98000 miles

I have a 2000 I30 infiniti and when my car sits for a few hours it cranks fine but goes dead after a few seconds like its losing fuel and I have to crank it about 6 times before I can drive it. Could I need a new fuel pump or filter? And if so, where is it located?
Shani1970

Hi shani1970 and welcome to 2carpros

The fuel pump is in the fuel tank

Check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge to confirm its within specification and comeback with the readings this is where we start. Also might want to test the coolant temperature sensor/ignition switch

The problem on my Infiniti was the mass airflow sensor, we had it replaced and my car is running great now! Thanks for the help!

Shani1970
I have an I30 in my shop and im getting two TC
P0171 bank 1 system too lean
P0174 bank 2 system too lean
it dies right after I start it. The long term FT 3.1and short term FTis at 25.0
WHERE DO I START?

Jessica.Paitsel
A lean fuel condition can be caused by: * Low fuel pressure due to a weak pump or leaky fuel pressure regulator. (Use a fuel pressure gauge to check fuel pressure at idle)

* Dirty fuel injectors. (Try cleaning the injectors)

* Vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, vacuum hose connections or throttle body. (Use a vacuum gauge to check for low intake vacuum)

* Leaky EGR valve. (Check operation of EGR valve)

* Leaky PCV Valve or hose. (Check valve and hose connections)

* Dirty or defective Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF). (Try cleaning the MAF sensor wires or filament with aerosol electronics cleaner. Do NOT use anything else to clean the sensor, and do not touch the sensor wires)

It was the MAF.

Jessica.Paitsel