FLOODING

2000 Hyundai Tiburon

2000 Hyundai Tiburon 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

I have been having an increasing problem with my car being difficult to start. It cranks and cranks, but will not engage. When it finally does, there is a puff of smoke that is emitted from the exhaust. It smells of gasoline as if it is flooding.
Mrnce

Is the smoke black, blue, or white in color?

White. It is not all of the time. I had the fuel pump replaced still starting hard. Starts right up with starting fluid. Occassionally popping a code that the Idle control is bad, but again not all the time. I just don't want to keep guessing.

Mrnce
Have you ever checked to make sure the head gasket isn't leaking? WHite smoke usually indicates coolant getting into the combustion chamber. You could test compression. Also, an idle air control valve could cause a hard start.

Thankyou and I will check pressure. My mechanic did not think it was head gasket mainly because of the smell of raw gas.

Mrnce