REPLACING MY ACCESSORY DRIVE BELT(S)

2004 Hyundai Sonata

Noises problem
2004 Hyundai Sonata 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 57000 miles

First off, I have to say I HATE THIS CAR!

Almost exactly a year ago I had to take my car in to the dealership because my hidrolic tensioner went out and I believe they changed the belt too. Thank goodness it was covered by the warrenty I still had on it. They replaced it and it was working fine then I just took it in the other day because my door locks weren't working and they fount that I have a cracked accessory drive belt!

I don't know if this is a timing belt or THE drive belt or what but I can't afford to pay out the butt for a stupid belt on my stupid car!

Thankfully I have a very nice dad and boyfriend that are somewhat mechanically inclined that could probably do this for me but I need to find a diagram so they can do this without any mistakes.

I have checked the owner's manual and it doesn't show how the remove the parts for replacement.

Can anyone help me with this?

PLEASE!
Ihatemysonata

The serpentine belt is what drives the alternator power steering pump etc. Its probably what they meant because you cant see the timing belt unless covers are removed.
There is a pully tensioner assembly that acts as a tensioner for the serpentine belt. You can find it by looking for a pully that does'nt drive a pump, is on a short bracket with a spring that applies tension toward the belt and is not the pully on the crankshaft. It pivots to loosen the belt when pressure is applied to the center bolt through the pully.
Draw a diagram of how the belt turns around all the pullies BEFORE you remove the belt and look for a sticker on the underside of the hood or on the radiator support for a drawing of the belt route.
Use extreme caution, when tension is on the wrench, turning the belt tensioner assembly, that the wrench doesn't slip catching a finger between the belt and pully.
Use a long wrench or a combination of wrenches for leverage to apply pressure to the tensioner pully assembly bolt, in the direction that releases the tension off the belt, until the belt is loose, about a 1/4 turn. Hold tension while slipping the belt off one of the pullies then release the pressure off the wrench, letting the tension off of the pully tensioner assembly.
Assemble in reverse, wrapping belt around all pullies except the tensioner pully, or most conveinent pully, until tensioner is sprung back enough to accept belt.
This is a very simple repair but must be done safely and correctly to make sure all belt ribs of the belt are in the grooves of the pullies correctly.
It may take someone 45 min to 1 hour the first time, but the second time probably only 15 min. It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is.

Doityoureself

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_04sonataserpentine_1.jpg

The adjusters are marked red.

Zackman