SERPENTINE BELT

2000 Hyundai Sonata

2000 Hyundai Sonata 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 114000 miles

My wifes belt came loose on her car. I know very little about cars. But I thought I could replace a belt.
Dumb me. Tightened the nut on the bottom pulley thinking it would move the tention arm. I have not been able to loosen this pully yet. Did mess up the motor by tighting this?

I do not have a diagram on how to place the belt back on. I was thinking if the belt was back on it might would help hold the pully so I could back it off.

Would tighting the bottom nut and turning the pulley mess up the timing. Of course the car has not been cranked.

If I have to can the car be pulled by a truck while in netural.

Sorry for all these questions.
Thanks, Jimmy
Southernguy

Hello Jimmy
1st we need to make sure all pulleys OK and spinning freely
by hand alternator , power steering and AC pulleys should turn
also tensioner (yellow in my picture )and idler pulleys (green)

we left with one pulley the crank shaft (blue)

this one should not be able to turn it by hand with out tools

also u can check the video selection it has one shows how to replace the belt

pull the tensioner away from the belt and install the belt (red arrow )

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_sonata_2.jpg

BMRFIXIT
Thank You so much for your reply back.
I tightened the nut on the blue section only. And I have not been able to back it off. I have not watched the video yet. But will. There is a clip on the bottom pully that look like it should keep the belt from jumping off. How do you get the belt under it? I will go outside and give everthing a try in a few minutes. I hope it goes well.

Thanks again.
Jimmy

Southernguy
U need an power tools to loosen or tighten that bolt
u can not over torque it by hand

BMRFIXIT
I have the belt back on. A big THANK-YOU to you. I am still worried about the bolt I tightened in be blue area. I made at least 3 or 4 full rotations of the bolt and it is now tight. Should this spin freely like the others? I will not start the car till I here back from you. Is there a chance I messed up the timing?

Thanks Again. I learned an important lession today and will use your expert advice from now on.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Southernguy
It's me again. I was just thinking. Maybe I thought I was tighting the bolt and it was just turning the pully. Don't know for sure now. I will await your reply.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Southernguy
I have not tryed to start my wife's car yet. I wanted to know your thought first. She will need it for work tomorrow if I don't make other arrangement to get to work. Your reply would be greatly appreashed.
Thanks Again,
Jimmy

Southernguy
I went ahead and started the car. The new belt jumped off again back behind the tensioner pulley like it did the first time. I'm about ready to shoot the car or myself. (Just kidding)
Any Ideas before I put more det on my charge card
Thanks,
Jimmy

Southernguy
Hi Jimmy
sorry I had to be some where
I m back know
the blue area like u discovered it very tight
and u can not over tighten it by hand

as for the belt to jump
check the tensioner pulley (Yellow)
also check what out of line
after u put the new belt did u have good tension on it

BMRFIXIT