CRACKED RADIATOR, LESS THAN A MONTH OU

2005 Hyundai Elantra

Engine Cooling problem
2005 Hyundai Elantra Automatic 26800 miles

Driving on the hwy yesterday in my 2005 Hyundai Elantra (26.7k miles, second owner), when the a/c suddenly stopped blowing cool air. I instinctively looked at the temp gauge just as the needle was passing into the red marks. Began to pull over when I heard a " pop" and steam started coming out from under the hood. I stopped the car, turned it off, opened the hood, and saw the cap of the coolant reservoir (not the radiator cap) had popped off and the reservoir was empty. I waited about 15 minutes, started the car, temp gauge normal, drove about a quarter mile to a gas station, as I pull in temp gauge approaching red. Parked the car and had a friend drive me home.

Came back about 3 hours later and dove it home stopping every time the needle approached red marks - took about half an hour to go 2 miles.

This morning I opened the radiator cap, started topping off the coolant, and saw coolant leaking from an 8 inch crack running along the base of the inlet tank. Started the car, let it run for about 10 minutes, never got hot. I did hear a " clicking" noise coming from the engine itself that I have never heard before.

As the second owner, I was covered under the 5year/60,000 mile warranty until August 5th 2010 (24 days ago). On August 3rd, a local dealership replaced my cracked steering wheel under the warranty. At that time they did a " multi point inspection" with " checked and okay" marked for every inspection point, including " cooling system, a/c, and heating system, " " radiator, heater, a/c hoses, " and " accessory drive belts.&Quot;

What is the best way to approach this issue with the dealership? Friends have told me about " goodwill" repairs being done when a car was just outside of the warranty period. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas as to what the mechanism and sequence of this problem was would also be welcome.
YorMama

Hi t,

Thank you for the donation,

As the system appears to not have been leaking prior to the failure I would say that there would have been no physical evidence of the impending failure, these radiators do flex a fair amount and failures like this are not uncommon, they tend to fail first internally at the core support plate, and when this starts to move the tanks are the next thing to give way, with this in mind there is no way a general inspection and system pressure test can pick up internal structure failures like this, you can plead your case with the dealer, be civil, do not get over heated (sorry about the pun) and they may come to some agreement on a compromise with costs and repairs, I feel that this is your best option.

Mhpautos
Thanks for the quick reply!
So any ideas on the clicking noise? Seems ominous to me. Just wondering if it means something else was damaged by the surge in temperature.
Also, I was just wondering if any American technicians have any input about how dealerships in the U.S.A. Normally respond to situations like this.

YorMama
The clicking may be a lash adjuster, but this is a bit hard to say with out hearing the noise, if it sounds high in the engine then I would be fairly confident that a lash adjuster may have some carbon fouling a oil bleed hole, maybe a flush and fresh oil & filter will help, I will send the question re the dealer on to my associates in the States,

mark (mhpautos)

Mhpautos