UPPER END OIL LEAK

1997 Honda Prelude

1997 Honda Prelude 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

my 97 honda prelude has an oil leak on the passenger side of the motor above where the head and block meet. The oil leaks down onto the exhaust pipe and causes smoke at stops. Any advice as to what this could be and how to fix it myself would be greatly appreciated.
Travistsrq

Hi travistsrq,

If it is between the head and block, it would ba a bad head gasket. However if the leakage is higher up, then the valve cover gaket is the main item to be replaced.

You can also look between the distributor an the ignition coil. Your car has two or three small sensors that look like small cans. It has tree screws in a shape of a triangle. When you take them of under that there is going to be a gasket that is probably cracked. I had a similar problem with my 1997 prelude. If that's not it check that value cover gasket. But check the other one first. Emblem

Vetcprelude