RIGHT SIDE OF 3.2 V6 NOT FIRING HO

1998 Honda Passport

1998 Honda Passport 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 144000 miles

I just did an engine change in my 1998 Honda Passport. It was an even swap 3.2 DOHC. Instal went great but when I started the engine the whole right side is not firing but the engine still runs. I unplugged all the coil packs ne at a time and all 3 on the right side made no difference in how the engine ran. On my test drive I got the cCheck Engine Light and it was flashing. I can smell fuel coming out the exhaust so I beleive its not and injector problem. I switched coil packs to see if that was the problem but it wasnt. I am lost as where to go from here. Also swapped ou the EGR valve and still no fire on the right side. What should I do
Spanishsilver

Hi spanishsilver,

Thank you for the donation.

First you would need to check if there are sparks at the coils. Remove the coils of the bank that is not firing, reconnect the wire connector and attach a spark plug to the plug coil. Ground the plug to the engine and get an assistant to crank the engiine while you look for sparks at the plugs.

If sparks are available, then get a cmpression test done to get the pressure.

Good compression and good spark. Where from here? : (

Spanishsilver
Sorry I forgot to mention this earlier. I was thinking on the line of the CEL flashing because of the misfiring.

Get a scan done to retrieve the trouble codes for the CEL flashing. If you are able to get it to Autozone, they can scan it free for you.

With good compression and sparks, fuel would be the next item to check.

Get a noid light to check the injector pulsing.
Check the PCM harnes cconnector for secure and clean connections.

I check fuel and injectors all OK. I also changed timing belt when the engine was out of car. I think the timing may be off just a little causing this problem. I just hope there was no valve damage. I will check it later on this week and let you know

Spanishsilver
Yes, it is possible the timing belt was not timed correctly.

Keep me updated.