VALVES?

1995 Honda Passport

1995 Honda Passport 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 170000 miles

Trying to figure out what is wrong here. My car just started to make a strong ticking noise, it does get stronger as the RPM's increase. For a long time, (last few years) it would make just a faint tick, which I assumed was a sticky valve, it would go away with oil treatment at each change. But this is a much stronger tick. It seems to be coming from the top of the engine. Also unrelated I just blew the radiator and replaced it. Other than this noise, the car seems to be running and driving fine. Just trying to figure out how much I could be in for, as internal engine stuff is too much for me to do myself.
Pucknski

I have a 1996 honda passport that the lifters were ticking very loud. I thought nothing of it, but one day I wanted to do something about it, so here is what I did and it worked of me, (after trying many products with no results) no more ticking after about an hour of driving. You might think i'm crazy, but hey, it worked, not only that it turned off my engine light as well. I went to wal-mart and got some Shell Rotellat 15W-40, (any 15w40 will do) yes you heard me right 15w40. Now this truck take 5.5q of oil. The Rotellat that I brought is sold by the gallon or 4q's. I change the oil using the Rotellat 15w40 4q's, added 1q of transmission fuild (to clean out the engine) (5q's) and topped off the oil with 10w40. It is amazing no more ticking and I have 192,000 miles on my truck, it sounds like a powerful engine now. I went from Virginia to Atlanta towing a bass boat which is about 600 miles, not one problem. I'm not tell you to try this, I'm just saying what worked for me.

Mav6759