MODELS ABS LIGHT

1996 Honda Other

Brakes problem
1996 Other Honda Models Two Wheel Drive Automatic

ABS light will not go out. Tried the trouble shooting in the honda haynes manual - taking out the fuse for 3 seconds and replacing and also a series of on and off with the ignition and subsequent pressing of the brake pedal. This is not work. Have you any further ideas?
Jo2950

Hi Jo2950,

What is the model of your vehicle?

It's a Honda Inspira - the VIN # is UA21028406.

Jo

Joanne2950
Hi Jo,

Does the light stay on immediately when the engine is started or does it turn on only when a short distance is travelled?

Does the ABS accumulator pump works for extended periods when the engine is started.

Did you try to retrieve for trouble codes?
The trouble codes would provide information on what is wrong.

Hi there, thanks for getting back to me.

It's on immediately the engine is started and remains on. I took it to a local guy here in Cayman and he said the code on the diagnostic machine told him it was the ABS pump. He gave me a second hand pump which did not make the light go out - could have been a dodgy pump? - He is off island now until mid-January so I am unable to contact him to find out what the code was.

I believe the pump appears to work as a mechanic has told me, but he was unable to help further as he had no knowledge really of ABS he said (!) This is the problem living on such a small island, with no Honda mechanics for support!

I appreciate anything else you can tell me.

Regards
Jo

Joanne2950
Yes, used pumps are rather unreliable and they seldom work well.

To retrieve the trouble codes you can use a jumper wire to bridge the SCS connector, located behid right side of dash, fastened to bottom plenum.

Turn on the ignition switch without starting the engine.
The ABS light would turn on for 2 seconds and start blinking the trouble code.

The diagram explains how the codes should be read.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_IdentifyingDTC96AcuraTLFig07_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_SCS96AcuraTLFig01_1.jpg

Get the code and let me know what they are.

That's fantastic, thanks very much for all the help. I will do this later today when I get off work, with a little help, and get the code. This is great assistance - thanks so much! Hope you had a good Christmas and don't mind being back at the computer in between now and new year, but I'm glad you are!

Warm, tropical regards from the caribbean!

Jo
x

Joanne2950
You are welcomed.

Not a problem for me to be at the computer. I am here almost everyday when I have the time and group of people here are ever ready to help whenever needed.

Once you get the codes let me know what they are and we shall get to the bottom of it.

Have a nice day.