OXYGEN SENSOR REPLACEMENT - CHECK ENGINE LIG

2004 Honda CRV

2004 Honda CRV 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 77000 miles

Hi Experts,

Check Engine light is on in 2004 Honda CRV. Went to Autozone and they read the code and provided the following information

************************************

Troubleshooting : P0134
OEM Brand : Honda

Definition
A/F Sensor 1 heater System Malfunction
Probable Cause
- Open or Short circuit Condition
- Poor Electrical Connection
- Faulty A/F Sensor 1

TroubleShooting : P0135
OEM Brand : Honda

Definition
A/F Sensor 1 heater System Malfunction
Probable Cause
-Open or Short Circuit Condition
-Poor Electrical Connection
-Faulty A/F Sensor 1
***********************************

It seems the issue is with Oxygen Sensor when I looked at the Internet.
I have tried to shop around in Internet and found there are 2 types of Oxygen sensors and I am confused which one to buy.

My question here is,

Do I need to replace the Oxygen Sensor?
If yes which one I need to buy (the front one or the back one), Please provide the part number or some specification to purchase. People are advising me to buy the Denso one.

Can I replace that myself. Do I need to get Under the car for doing that or simply opening the hood will do?
Please let me know your valuable answers.
Deepak05

Hi deepak05,

Thank you for the donation.

For O2 sensor replacement, you would need to get under the vehicle to replace it. See diagram for location. The sensors tends to get stuck at times and might strip the threads. Some rust remover sprayed onto the threaded area and allowed to soak would help. Try yo do it with a hot exhaust to avoid it seizing while unloosening.

Before replacement, it would be best to perform diagnostics and since P0135 is present, ohming out the sensor heated circuit would enable you to test if the sensor is faulty. The 2 black wire is the hated circuit and it should have between 1.5 ohms cold and 4.5 to 5 ohms when hot.

The sensor that is faulty is the front one.

OEM is the recommended one and ND is the OEM supplier so should be the preferred choice if you are not going for OEM.

Hi,

COuld you please give me the diagram to locate the Oxygen sensor?

Inorder to check the sensor, I just need a multi meter correct? I will purchase one and do the check

Deepak

Deepak05
Sorry for the mistake.

I was suppposed to attach a diagram and seem to miss it out after answering the question.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_AFsensor02CRVFig137_2.jpg

If you need further diagnositc procedures, I can get the file for you.

Thank you so much your help. Please send me those diagnostic procedure file.

After getting the reply from you, I am confident that I can do that.

Could you suggest me a good Multi meter too.

Thanks in advance

Deepak05
I have sent the files.

Our parts store do have rather good multitesters. Check them out with the links afer my signature.