CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

1998 Honda CRV

Computer problem
1998 Honda CRV 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

I bet you get this question constantly : ) Just bought a used 98 CRV. First time I filled it up gas, 20 minutes later, check engine light. Tightened the cap, 3 days later, still on. Take it to Advance Auto, quick diagnostic shows 2 codes. Could be several things, Os, MAF sensor, vacuum leak. Took it to a mechanic for them to give it a good check and she is a sound vehicle. Idles great, nice solid steering and so on. Owner of the shop was honest and said that to run a complete diagnostic would start at $90 and then go up as they try to isolate the problem. Said he didnt want me throwing away money for something that was not going to be a catastrophic failure. So I will try to replace what I can when I can starting with the upstream O2 sensor. Your thoughts? As well as a diagram as to the location of this one. Thanks in advance.
Onodacops

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

It would be a great help if you can give me the actual codes that were set in the ECU, if you can post them we can work our way through your problems.

Mhpautos
Mark,

Thanks for your quick reply. I went out to the car to get the print out and can't locate it. I will go back first thing in the morning and get the codes. Im pretty sure one of them was P0171, system running lean or rich. It listed several possible reasons. I remember it saying on " one bank" or something like that. All this might confuse the issue : ) so I get the codes posted first thing US East coast time, thanks again.

Onodacops
Ok, thanks, I will keep an eye open for it, as I am in Aust we may have a time delay but we should be able to sort this one out ok.

Mark

Mhpautos
They gave me 2 printouts

P0170 OEM Brand: Domestic
Fuel Trim bank one
The computer has recognized a rich or lean condition in one engine bank.
Possible causes are; One bank and 2 codes suspect fuel pressure or MAF sensor, O2 sensor.

P0171 OEM Brand: Honda
Possible cause; large vacuum leak, fuel system concern, MAF, 02 sensor

Onodacops
The causes for this code are as you have started, I would first be checking the vacuum leaks and the exhaust leaks, normally if a sensor is at fault it will through its own code as well, I would start here.

Mark.

Mhpautos
Looking around the web about locating a vacuum leak, they suggest inspecting the hoses for obvious problems then using carb cleaner to locate the smaller holes or tears. The one thing that seems odd here is that the engine runs and idles fine, nice and smooth, no hesitation when I accelerate.

I will let you know what I find, thanks again Mark.

Onodacops
Ok, I will still give this some thought and get back to you if I come up with something,

mark

Mhpautos