P301 P1399 '99 COUPE EX 79100 MILES 1.8 LITER AUTO

Honda Civic

Hey guys,
Thanks for your help.
I have an intermittent misfire in my #1 cylinder. It usually happens in the morning on the way to work.
Typically I'll be able to feel a little rumble in the steering wheel when I'm stopped at a light. Then I drive it like that for about 10-15 minutes on surface streets. After that I get on the Freeway for about 10 minutes and when I get off the freeway is when it's usually the worst. At that point it often misses so bad that the Check engine light comes on and flashes. When I start moving again the flashing reverts to a steady light. Then I park it for the day while I'm at work and it's fine when I start back up.

I had it read once while it was on and it showed a 1300 misfire in cylinder 1.

Going for the most easy first, I swapped the plugs in #'s 1 and 2 but it did it again. I thought it felt different, but when I went to checker, it still read Cylinder 1 as the baddie.

So what do y'all think? I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

I also changed the o2 sensor with no improvement.

I replaced the plug wires after I tore the wires loose trying to remove them so I could pull the plugs.

I pulled off the Distributor cap but it looked fine to me with no buildup in any of the contacts that was abnormal. 1 looked no different thatn 2, 3, and 4.

Again it's a '99 Civic EX coupe with automatic transmission and 79100 miles.
Swing4thefence

Test #1 cylinder fuel injector. Or when it misfires tap on the injector with a screw driver and see if it changes if so its the injector.

Runtich
Ok. Screwed up. I switched the plugs in 3 and 4. I just switched 1 and 2 and I'm waiting to see if the Check engine light comes back on so that I can see if the misfire is in a different cylinder.
I really hope that it's just the plugs.

I did pull the injectors out and look at them but there doesn't seem to be any unusual buildup on any of them. They seemed to be really clean.

Swing4thefence
How do I test it?

Swing4thefence
If its not the spark plug wires get a mulitimeter and unplug the injector set the meter to ohms which test resistance and put each one of the test proms from the meter on the injector one is red one is black. It does not matter which one goes where and read the meter then you will need to call a shop or something to find out what the resistance should be if to much or to little replace it. Good luck and have a good 4th.

Runtich
My friend thinks it's related to the Fuel pressure regulator, but how would that isolate the misfire to one cylinder?

Also, could it be a problem with the fuel rail?

Swing4thefence
The fuel pressure regulator will not give u a misfire. The only problem it will cause is a hard start or to rich condition. The fuel rail would not cause this either.

Runtich