IDLE JUMPING

Honda Civic

HEY, I HAVE A 93 HONDA CIVIC HATCHBACK, I JUST HAD THE ENGINE SWAPED OUT AND REPLACED IT WITH A 1996 1.6 SOHC V-TEC ENGINEM, NOW MY PROBLEM IS THAT WHEN IM AT A STAND STILL, MY IDLEING IS JUMPING BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN 1000 AND 2500 RPMS NONE STOP. NOW MY BUDDY THAT SWAPED THE ENGINE FOR ME SAID THAT ITS MOST LIKEY HAPPENING BECAUSE I DIDN'T CHANGE ALL THE 93 COMPONENTS TO 96 COMPONENTS (COMPONENTS MEANING STARTER, DISTRIBUTOR, ETC.) SO I WAS WONDERING WHAT I WOULD NEED TO DO TO MAKE IT IDLE CORRECTLY, I THINK MY BUDDY JUST ADJUSTED THE SCREW TO THE MAF SENSOR TO MAKE IT IDLE STEADY, BUT NOW IT IDLES VARLY HIGH AT 1500 RPM'S. WHAT SHOULD I DO?
JOSER81

Your buddy just pushed the idle up and shouldn't have. That made the computer happier but the root of the problem still exists. The complete component swap could be an issue, but did you replace the intake manifold or switch them by chance? I suspect that there is an intake manifold gasket leak.

Bruce Hunt
I'm with Bruce on this.

Check for a vacuum leak, the intake manifold gasket is a pretty common place for a leak.

Benz_Guy