BRAKE PADS

2007 Honda Civic

Brakes problem
2007 Honda Civic 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

I bought new brake pads from Autozone part DGC465 Duralast pads and when replacing the pad it is right against the rotor. I compressed the cylinder completely and had to bang the calipar with new pads back in place. Is this normal thought there is to be space between rotor and pads.
Jcornette1

Not normal, how are the slides? This is where the bolts go thru, also, the calipers, if fully collapsed should allow the remounting to be easy, there is not much room with new pads and new rotor, but force is not needed to reassemble. Either you have the wrong pads, or the caliper needs to be replaced, try opening the bleeder screw, the piston may go in a little further. If so, you might consider new calipers. The other thing is if you used the old rotors, the rust ridge on the inner and outer edges could be hanging it up. Try new rotors.

Merlin2021
The caliper is what houses the cylinder right? If so how does this go bad b/c it appears to be one forged piece of metal.

The pads are tight and test drove the car it moves but really doesn't move after I come to a complete stop would this be okay and just allow the pads to wear down a bit?

Jcornette1
The piston and seal is what the concern is, not the casting. Sludge builds up on and behind the piston, and this is what causes frozen calipers. You will be seriously overheating the brakes. This can cause the brake fluid to boil, and cause brake " fade" and maybe loss of braking altogether. You really should figure out what the Hang up is. Did you put new rotors on?

Merlin2021
@jcornette1 - I experiencing the same problem on my '08 Honda Civic. Did you find out what the problem was. I'm thinking I might take pads back and purchase from the dealer.

Lmeza1