CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON

2006 Honda Civic

2006 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 53000 miles

Need help, I changed the air filter and put in an after market one from Advanced Auto. Two days later the check engine light came on. I tried for a while to check the problem with a hand held computer but came back error. I just recently went to Auto Zone and had them check the computer and it said that there was a problem with the IAT Sensor (Intake Air Temperature Sensor). I called Honda and they told me there is no such thing as this sensor. Honda told me that I should put in an OEM air filter. What do you think. Ive also dropped from 40 mpg to 27-30 mpg.
Can you help me.
Thank you.
Rlennon

Yes there is a sensor for the air temperature. This provides information to the computer to calculate stoichometric efficiency. There will be another for barometric pressure, usually a MAP sensor to calculate the differential between the manifold and outside pressure. The actual names vary between vehicles. Put an OEM filter back on if that seems to be the cause of the problems. There should be a sensor on the throttle body or on the intake manifold to measure intake air temperature. It would look very similar to the coolant temperature sensor.

Airsoftsoldrecn9