WATER LEAK DRIVERS SIDE FLOOR

2005 Honda Civic

Interior problem
2005 Honda Civic 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 62000 miles

My driver side floor gets wet when it rains or when the car is washed.

It is a small area closest to the left foot rest on the drivers side of the car. I would like to know if there are any TSB's that cover this problem. If there are no TSB's where are the critical seems to check or other places that water may be leaking in that I should check to see if they need to be sealed?

Thanks for the help
Fvnktion

Only have a tsb for a leak in the truck. Other then that no. I would get some mild soapy water in a water bottle and turn the blower motor on high and shut the doors with the window's up and spray around the door and the windshield and such and look for bubbles. The bubbles will show the leak.

Racefan966
So you think that the leak is in from the door or the windshield?

How does the blower motor(i guess you mean fan) affect what is coming into the car?

What do you use to spray the soapy water with, a spray bottle?

Please explain the theory what we are testing here?

Fvnktion
Ok it works like this. You are using the blower motor to create air pressure so that where the leak is the air will try to come out. So with a spray bottle of mild soapy water it will show that leak by making bubbles. Hope this helps. Let me know what you find.

Racefan966
All, just getting back to you about the leak problem.

Try1: I tried your suggested method and didn't find any bubbles around any areas that the water could be leaking into.

Try 2: I lifted the car and looked at all the seams to see if there could be anything leaking in there. Anyplace that looked like a possibility I put sealed up with silicon. I used a fan to dry the carpet completely to see if it would get wet again. After the next snow storm it was just as wet as ever.

Try3: After try 2 didn't work, I ended up taking up the floor siding panels, the foot rest and then took up the carpet. The carpet is still quite wet. There is a body plug under the carpet, which I put silicon on and replaced and a plug just above the foot rest, which I siliconed and replaced. I can't see any signs of where the water could be leaking in cracks.

I did find some sort of what looks like an air duct that comes from the driver side of the shift console and ends up sitting flat on the floor and continues under the driver seat. There is some residual water that is under it - I'm not sure if this just a convenient place to sit or if this could be where the leak is coming from?

Do you know what this black duct is? Could it be causing the leaking of water/condensation? How would I test this?

Any other ideas?

Fvnktion
Here is a picture of the duct that I am talking about.

Fvnktion

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/300548_IMG_1754_2.jpg

Fvnktion
I had the same problem and this was the fix for me. Jack up the car and remove the front tire on the driver's side. Then partially remove the wheel well shield facing the wet floor. Look up and you should see two holes where cables/wires can go through. Check to make sure the plugs are in place and tight. If not use silicone to fill. When the water runs down after being collected from around the windshield wipers above it runs right over these holes.

Granddaddys
I am still thinking that the windshield may be the leak. If the primer put down for the windshield glue reacts with the paint then the paint will lift and thus leak there. I didn't ask if you had a sun roof.

Racefan966