MISFIRE

1998 Honda Civic

1998 Honda Civic 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 230000 miles

I have a 98 civic lx little 4 banger 1.6L I have a misfire on cylander one according to the computer. I do my own mechanical work this is the only car that has ever had me stumped. Check engine light is on for a misfire on cylander 1 but number 1 isnt misfireing number 2 is I pull one the engine dies down and really misfires I pull plug number 2 and I have no diference. I plug the computer in it says its the ignition module and the misfire on cylander one. I did a brand new cap rotor wires plugs. I even adjusted the valves cause I have spark on all the cylanders I know its getting gas I can smell it in the cylander I even checked the timing. Im outta ideas and I live in ny so I cant put the car on the road with the check engine light on help me please someone
Pod12701

Is the engine running rough all the time like the cylinder is missing " all the time"? A misfiring cylinder doesn't have to be misfiring all the time, it can misfire intermittently. An ignition module will do that. However, have it tested before replacing--they are expensive for your car.   If you are sure you have spark, and have tested to be sure, then it is almost impossible to just smell to see if there is fuel getting into the cylinder. The only true way to tell if there is fuel getting into the cylinder is to take the spark plug wire off the plug and run the engine for a minute or two. Then stop the engine and quickly take out the spark plug. It should be soaked (wet) from fuel. If not soaked, but a little wet, it could be a blocked or failing injector.   Let us know what you find.

Pear69