HONDA CIVIC NOISE PROBLEM

1998 Honda Civic

Noises problem
1998 Honda Civic 4 cyl Automatic 136000 miles

When my car is idle with the a/c on you hear a rhythmic screechy, mechanical type noise it seems to be near the accesorry belts which I had checked out and are fine. Also, every once or so often, from the moment I start the car, it blows warm air and I can be driving about 10 min and then the cool air will kick in. I went to a mechanic where he checked the compressor for leaks, he said it wasn't leaking but suggested I replace it although I strongly doubt its the compressor if not it wouldnt be cooling. Someone else told me it could be something with the pulley mechanism or a bearing. I dont know what to do! It get worse and worse as the weeks go by. : [
Becca0wnz

Hi becca0wnz,

If the crankshaft is incorporated with a damper, most probably it is faulty.

With engine started, does the pulley run out of lateral, (looks like it is waving )from top?

Thank you for trying to help me out. How do I look for that? Because I can hear the noise but not see where its coming from.

Becca0wnz
Hi becca0wnz,

From the belts look at the engine pulley, if it moves in a wavy pattern with the engine running, then it should be replaced.

Is that expensive to replace or is it something I can do on my own with the civic manual? Will the part be available at any auto parts?

Becca0wnz
Hi becca0wnz,

I don't know about the price and it would not be easy for you to replace it.

You need a special tool to hold it to remove the centre bolt which is torqued at 150 lbs.

Before doing anything, you need to confirm the part causing the noise. There is also the idler bearing and did you check the tension of the belt?