OIL LEAK - V-6 ,, 193K

1997 Honda Accord

I have a stupid question, I guess. I have a small oil leak. The spots are usually around the size of a quarter or so. It seems to be a slow leak, as in I put about 1/4 of a quart of oil in about a month ago and the oil level is still ok. I am wondering, and here is where the stupid part comes in, WHERE can the oil leaks come from - the front of the engine has oil on it about 1/3 of the way down. I know there are several different kinds of gaskets and would it be worth it to replace all of them?

As you can see, she has a lot of mileage but she is a great car and I want to fix this. In addition, if I can afford it, I want to have my timing belt and water pump replaced since I have 17K to go before I need it done again anyway and as you can see I drive this car a lot. Never has given me a minute of trouble. The first car I have ever had that was worth taking care of!

Also, do you know how much this might COST? I have a few thousand to spend but that is it. I know the price will vary by mechanic and by region. I am mainly concerned about getting the oil leak(s?) Fixed. If there is " extra" money available I'll do the tb and wp early. If not, I'll save up and wait.

Getting another car is NOT an option. This car is a great car.

I hope someone can give me a ballpark. I know it's kind of a weird question. ?
Paulsmom1999

If the oil is coming from the front of the engine then it is probably either of the cam seals or the crank seal, or other item run by the timing belt. Have the t-belt and w-pump done, while they are in there have all of the front engine seals replaced, wont be much extra labor since they are in there for the belt anyway. If you have thousands to put into it, you will have plenty left over. Honda's are extremely reliable, seen them go way further than yours! Enjoy

Jack42
Thanks for your advice! Yes, I was hoping to get the TB and the WP done at the same time if they were going to have to be in there anyway.

Now I just have to get the time off work to take it IN!

I also plan to drain and fill my radiator and my transmission, and check belts/hoses/etc. Etc. Etc.

This car is my beloved darling. I really appreciate your advice.

Paulsmom

Paulsmom1999
Thanks again for your help!

I took it to my Honda guy yesterday and they checked it out and there are just little leaks everywhere ha ha. I am going to do the timing belt and water pump and drain and fill the radiator and transmission while I am at it. I'm also going to have him toss on some new windshield wiper blades while he's at it.

It's going to run me around $1400. I'm happy to pay it for a car that is worth maintaining.

The car I had before this one (a Dodge) wasn't worth the paper the title was written on.

Thanks again for your advice. It's actually less than I thought I would have to spend. They probably thought I was crazy at my Honda guy's place. I was smiling and telling them how happy I was and that I'd happily fork over the money. This guy is so honest though. If it were some fly-by-night place but this guy does great work. He told me about the emissions extention warranty and he said, ''Well, I CAN do the work, but it will cost, whereas if you take it to the dealer it will be FREE.&Quot; Pretty darn honest if you ask me. : -)

Thanks!

Paulsmom1999