CYP SENSOR PROBLEM IN THE DISTRIBUTOR

2000 Honda Accord

2000 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

I have a 2000 honda accord LX 4 cyl. My check engine light came up and I put my scanner on and I got a code P1381 [ manufacturer control ignition system or misfire ] I been reading a haynes repair manual book. It comes up saying that its the cyp sensor intermittent voltage signal. I think this part comes with the distributor. Has anyone ever had this problem. Or code before. When you give the car gas it act's like it's choking and when you turn on the a/c car chokes and wants to turn off.
Junior69

Hi junior69,

Here are the description of the code and diagnostic procedures.

DTC P1381: CYP SENSOR INTERMITTENT INTERRUPTION.

1. Reset the ECM/PCM

2. Start the engine. Is DTC P1381 indicated?
YES - Go to step 3.
NO - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose wires at the distributor and the ECM/PCM.

3. Check for poor connections at the ignition (spark plug) wires. Are the wires OK?
YES - Go to step 4.
NO - Correct as necessary.

4. Check the condition of the ignition wires. Are the wires OK?
YES - Go to step 5.
NO - Replace the ignition wires.

5. Turn the ignition switch OFF.

6. Disconnect the distributor 4P connector.

7. For the F23A1 or F23A4 engine, measure resistance between distributor 4P connector terminals No. 3 and No. 4. For the F23A5 engine, measure resistance between the distributor 4P connector terminals No. 2 and No. 4.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_DistributorConnector00Accord_1.jpg

Is there 800-1,500 ohm?
YES - Go to step 8.
NO - Replace the ignition distributor housing.

8. For the F23A1 or F23A4 engine, check for continuity between body ground and the distributor connector terminals No. 3 and No. 4 individually. For the F23A5 engine, check for continuity between body ground and the distributor connector terminals No. 2 and No. 4 individually.
Is there continuity?
YES - Replace the ignition distributor housing.
NO - Go to step 9.

9. Reconnect the distributor 4P connector.

10. Disconnect ECM/PCM connector C (31P).

11. Measure resistance between ECM/PCM connector terminals C29 and C30.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_ECM31Connector00Accord_1.jpg

Is there 800-1,500 ohm?
YES - Go to step 12.
NO - Repair open in the wire between the ECM/PCM (C29, C30) and the distributor.

12. Check for continuity between body ground and ECM/PCM connector terminal C29.
Is there continuity?
YES - Repair short in the wire between the ECM/PCM (C29) and the distributor.
NO - Substitute a known-good ECM/PCM and recheck. If the symptom/indication goes away, replace the original ECM/PCM.