OIL LEAK AT BOTTOM OF SLENOID PART

1995 Honda Accord

1995 Honda Accord 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 158000 miles

I replaced the O ring gasket but it still leaks. What is the tort pressure on the bolts (3). It seems that it is leaking from the bottom bolt.
Manny3700

Doesn't seem to have specific torq. Here is partial procedure for distributor and o-ring replacement.

Using a new O-ring, install it on the distributor shaft. Coat it lightly with clean engine oil.
The drive lugs in the end of the distributor shaft are slightly offset to match the offset in the end of the camshaft. Position the distributor shaft for an approximate match, then fit the distributor in place.
Make certain the drive lugs are correctly engaged and the O-ring is in place. Install the retaining bolts centered in the mounts and just snug enough to hold the distributor in place.
Reconnect the external wiring and install the spark plug wires. Double check their placement.
Start the engine and set the timing. Tighten the distributor bolts.

It isn't the main seal leaking is it?

Bluelightnin6
Hello -

Great info from bluelightnin6

If you are talking about the hold down bolt torque for the distributor it is: Hold down bolt torque 18 Nm (13 ft lb)

Thanks for the donation

Please let us know if this was the fix for your vehicle or what was so we can better assist others.

Find a car repair manual for your car repair questions.

ImpalaSS
I have replaced the: valve cover gasket, distributor O-ring; and both gaskets on the V-tec solenoid on the back of the engine. The bottom of the v-tec solenoid has oil on it everytime after running the engine driving it like normal for 5 minutes. Could this be the main seal you were talking about? I think it might be leaking from somewhere else on the back of the engine but near the v-tec solenoid.

Manny3700
Hello -

I know bluelightnin6, was working with you on this....but he may be tied up since there hasn't been any response to your question. So if you don't mind I may add some suggestions until he can get back with you.

Review of what you are looking at is an oil leak it appears. The main seal I am almost positive is too far down below the VTEC.

The VTEC is located on the cylinder head. My thought is it may be leaking out of the solenoid itself or the pressure switch that is threaded into the VTEC solenoid housing.

My suggestion since you have replaced the VTEC seals is I attached the info I have on that just so you can make sure you and I are talking about the same ones.

Next, there is a filter on the VTEC.....did you clean it?

Next - I would remove the pressure switch and place thread tape on it and put it back in.

Oil leaks are tuff......once you have cleaned it....use electrical cleaner for terminal boards...it is not as harsh and evaporates.....spray it all down really good so it is totally dry.

Start the vehicle and with a mirror and strong light just stare at it. Give it time...if you say it takes about 5 minutes then you know you need to wait at least that long. If you want, use the spray first and see if you can locate the leak before you take it all apart.

I show the dealer wants about $147 for the solenoid and about $68 for the switch. Again, it may be leaking out of one of these or the threads.

Let me know what you find out.

Oh, one last note.....you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you. I attached them last.

Thanks for the donation

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

VTEC Solenoid Inspection
Notes

Disconnect the 1P connector from the VTEC Solenoid Valve.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_1_93.jpg

Measure resistance between the Terminal and body ground. Resistance: 14 - 30 ohms .

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_2_54.gif

If the resistance is within specifications, remove the VTEC Solenoid Valve assembly from the Cylinder Head, and check the VTEC Solenoid Valve filter/O-ring for clogging.
If there is clogging, replace the Engine Oil Filter and the Engine Oil.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_3_43.jpg

If the Filter is not clogged, push the VTEC Solenoid Valve with your finger and check its movement.
If the VTEC Solenoid Valve is normal, check the Engine Oil pressure.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Picture5_9.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Picture6_9.jpg

ImpalaSS
Sorry about that guys. I have been wrapped up for most of the weekend because of the holiday. Thanks ImpalaSS for helping out while I was busy.

Manny3700, I hope that the great info. ImpalaSS has given you will help cure your oil leak and sorry I could not respond quick enough.

Bluelightnin6
Ok, the part has stopped leaking. Here's what I did to fix it. When I tightened the solenoid back onto the car, I tightened the bolt on the bottom and the top bolt on the driver side more than the top bolt on the passenger side. This makes up for there not being a fourth bolt on the bottom driver side. Problem solved! Thank you both for your assistance with this problem.

Manny3700
Hello -

Great - glad you got it fixed!

Let us know if we can help you in the future. Make sure you tell your friends about us.

Hey, don't forget to check the dealer on those recalls.

Have a great weekend.

Thanks for the donation

ImpalaSS
If the sloenoid is clogged getting an oil change with new oil filter will fix the problem or do you still need to clean the solenoid out?

Mrhodes101