SPUTTERS/ROUGH SOUNDING AT LOW THROTTLE

1994 Honda Accord

Noises problem
1994 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 175000 miles

1994 Accord EX 2-DR F22B1 engine 5spd MT

Couple days ago my car suddenly started making a sputtering sound (sounds like a motorcyle or tractor) when I accelerate at anywhere under half throttle. If I give it more than half throttle it runs smoothly. It does this in all gears. Once I get around 2800-3000rpms it tends to run fine no matter where my throttle is. Car seems to accelerate ok despite the odd sound and I didn't find any visible/noticable problems in the exhaust. When it started I was driving her kind of hard (a few fast downshifts that each shot me up to about 4000rpm) trying to slow down for a turn. When I went to accelerate, after turning, it sounded like I described above and hasn't changed since. I don't have much money for repairs so I need to know what exactly is wrong before I start spending. No recent tune-ups or repairs.
ZLesterSC

Hi ZLesterSC,

Thank you for the donation.

Did the Malfunction Indicator Light shows while driving?

The symptoms described is consistent with a malfunction in the EGR system. Disconnect the EGR vacumn hose and plug it. Test drive and if symptoms goes away, remove the EGR valve and clean the passage under it of carbon deposits and retest. EGR valve mightneed to be replaced if it is badly clogged.