1993 Honda Accord

1993 Honda Accord 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

This morning went to drive home from work and the car would not shift out of park. I continued to try to move the shifter but all that happened is that it locked.I heard the click and the silver button would no longer depress. I followed the instructions in the owner's manual about turning the car off, putting the key in the release, holding it down and trying to push in the silver button on the left side of the shifter. NO luck. Nothing would budge. Any ideas? At least on a temporary fix to get it to the repair shop? To complicate things, it is in a parking tower that has a 7 ft clearance, so not sure I can even get it towed, or put on a flatbed tow to get it to the shop.

Hi Sstearns,

The interlock system is malfunctioning and you should check if the brake lights are working. A blown brake fuse would cause it.

Regarding manual release, did you push the key in hard to release the interlock solenoid?