GEAR SHIFT PROBLEM, CHANGED SOLENOID &

1990 Honda Accord

1990 Honda Accord 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

I have a gear shifting problem. I have it parked and the parked gear does not move at all. I changed the solenoid and I changed the brake light switch. The brake light does not work and it is certainly not a problem with the battery. Thanks
Fizike

Hi Fizike,

The shift interlock system requires a signal from the brake circuit to activate the solenoid. If the brake lights are not working and the shift interlock system does not receive the signal, tihe interlock solenoid is not going to work.

Did you test fot battery voltage at the brake switch wire connector? Did you check the stop light fuse?

What do I do if there is no voltage there.I checked and there is none

Fizike
Check the stop fuse in underhood fusebox.
Use a test lamp to test both ends. If both ends have battery voltage, there is an open circuit between the stop fuse and switch.

And if there is none?

Fizike
If there is no power at the stop fuse, check the main fuse in underhood fuse box. If fuses are good, you have an onpen in the fuse box between the main fuse and the stop fuse. There should be other components that are not getting power as well if it is the main fuse.

So what should I do

Fizike
At the stop fuse, apply battery voltage with the aid of another source and test if the brake light works.