CAR WILL NOT SHIFT

1990 Honda Accord

Computer problem
1990 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

How Can I Make My Car Shift Correctly?

I Have A 1990 Honda Accord Lx Which Has An Automatic Transmission.

Before The Problem: The " s" Light Has All Ways Blinked Since I Purchased The Car. When The Ecu Was Jumped It Would Give An Error Code Of 12. (One Flash Pause And Then Two More Flashes) From What I Have Been Able To Find On The Net I Believe Code 12 Is A EGR Valve. The Car Had Been Running Fine So I Did Not Change The EGR Valve. Also I Don't Know If This Is Related But About A Year Ago My Speedometer Stopped Working For About A Week And Then Suddenly Started Working Again.

2 Days Ago While Driving The " s" Light Suddenly Lit Up To A Solid Green And The Car Down Shifted. It Is Now Stuck In That Gear. It Rained Extremely Hard Here This Weekend And I Wonder If The Rain Cause Something To Short. Some Times In The Past Few Days The " s" Light Will Start Flashing Again And The Car Begins To Shift Correctly. When The " s" Light Is Solid The Cruise Control Works. Which Is Very Strange Because It Has Never Worked Before.

If I Un Hook The Battery For A Few Minuets The " s" Light Starts Blinking Again And The Car Will Shift Correctly For A Short While. When The " s" Light Is Solid The Red Light On The Ecu Is Also Solid. Before The Car Goes Into Solid " s" Mode And Stops Shifting I Will Hear A Clicking Noise Come From Bellow My Shifting T Bar. I Can Put The Car In Reverse Or Neutral But When It Is In Drive It Will Not Down Shift.

Optional Information:
1990 accord lx

Already Tried:
checked transmission fluids.
un hooked battery to reset ecu.
Seekerbeat

There are a few things it could be.

The Lock Up Control Solenoid Valve

The Shift Control Solenoid Valve

Or possibly the Speed Sensor.

Or even a combo of either.

With that year vehicle pulling code will only give you the engine codes it won't give the codes for the tranny.

Your best bet is to take it to a transmission shop for exact diagnosis.

Obxautomedic
Try transmission fluid and filter changed-also have the coolant, throttle, vehicle speed sensors checked out-these components tells the computer how to control upshifts/downshifts/overdrive//lock-up -could also be a shifting solenoids hanging up.

You can get the tranny pressure tested to find out more why its doing it-

So you folks don't think it might be the Transmission Control Unit (TCM)? The reason I ask is because It seem electrical.

Seekerbeat
What does this mean and does it offer any clues as to why my car is not shifting?

Seekerbeat
I am not able to really get a good understanding of the code. And doesn't specify year and make.

Have you checked all suggestions in the above posts?

Also yes it could be the tcm however, the other listed things can cause the problem. And we try to help save you money by testing or checking other things first. The price of the tcm can be as much as $500. The cheapest I have found in my area has been $245.

Obxautomedic