OIL IN AIR CLEANER

1989 Honda Accord

1989 Honda Accord 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 200000 miles

The car recently started leaking a lot of oil. I have traced the leak to the air cleaner housing. There is a lot of oil dripping out of the housing. About the bottom 2" of the air filter is completely saturated with oil. The oil doesn't appear to be coming from the valve cover breather. There is very little blowby coming from the breather when I pull the hose off, even with the engine revved up. Where could the oil be coming from? It has been using about a quart of oil per day. Thanks, Terry
Traras

Airfilter saturated with oil the PCV system is flowing backwards-for a start replace the PCV valve-

I replaced the pcv valve and it made little if any difference.

Traras

Traras
Could be caused by excessive blowby gas going thru the cylinders due to wear and tear that the PCV valve cannot handle it. If the PCV system is okay and the oil still making it to the airfliter-your looking at an engine rebuild.

Check the crankcase ventilation what it does is this; a vacuum line goes from the intake manifold to the engine block on one end. On the other end a hose goes from the air cleaner, to the PCV valve which usually sits in a rubber grommet on the valve cover. This creates an air flow through the crankcase which draws all the blow by gases into the intake manifold to be recirculated through the engine.