88 LXI MANUAL 5 SPEED, STRAIGHT CLUTCH NO HYDROLIC

1988 Honda Accord • 300,000 miles

Hi, I'm having some clutch trouble on the ol Honda, are you available for a quick question, here's the the story. As I pulled into my parking space and pushed the clutch pedal in, all of the sudden, the normal pressure or resistance of pushing the clutch pedel in went "limp" and the pedal just pushed to the floor like a ballon that just let all the are out. Now the pedal will stick in the down position or I can grab it and it will pop quckely back to the up position. This is a straight cable with no hydrolic assistance. When having someone move the clutch pedal back and forth between the down and up postions, and watching the other end of the cable where it interfaces with the clutch arm, there is some movement but not enough to disengage the clutch. The clutch cable tension adjustor is in it's normal position as far as I can tell. What do you think may be the problem?
Tmonroe

If the cable didn't break then maybe the throw out bearing came apart?That takes up the gap between the clutch fork and the pressure plate. If you try to move the clutch fork with your hand where the cable attaches can you move it by hand?

I can grab the arm and move it up about an inch against some strong resistance. The up position in this set up would be disengage.

Tmonroe
How Mich does the arm move when pressing the clutch pedal?

The cable moves about 1 ", since it seems the throw out bearing pressure was good, as in not broken, I went head and adjusted the cable lenght about an 1.75". This made the cable engage the fork when pressing the pedal to the floor. It is now working. However it's hard to believe the adjustor could "slip" that much and the clean thread vs. Dirty thread on the adjustor does not indicate slippage. Could the clutch cable have stretched? Ever heard of or seen that before?

Tmonroe
No never saw one stretch all of a sudden they stretch overtime. Sudden stretch like that usually involves something broke. Check the cable clutch pedal where it pivots for worn bushing broken etc.

Good idea. I'm going to pull the cable anyway, check it - replace if necessary, and check all the fittings and cable path. I've replaced the cable on this once before and it's a real hassle getting to the top fitting inside the vehicle but I’ll figure out what happened. Thanks.

Tmonroe
Your welcome keep me posted.