GUNPOWDER SMELL

1994 Honda Accord • 187,000 miles

So, the car has been running rich for awhile now off and on, replaced fuel pump (it died), fuel filter, pcv hose and valve, and O2 so far. It was much needed anyways and it was cheaper than I expected. When I get up to speed to get on the freeway (30 to 65 in about 5 seconds) I get an overwhelming smell of gunpowder. I was told it could be the EGR or my CATYLITIC CONVERTER.
thought id ask before I start digging, thanks guys, your an awesome help.
Ricoe2010

Abnormal smell can be due to the catalytic converter. If engine is misfiring, it can cause the catalytic converter to glow red hot, have you ever looked at the catalytic converter when the smell appears?

It only gives that smell under load (like getting on the freeway). All other times its either fine or runs rich. Im starting to point to a sticky EGR, just needed a second opinion.

Ricoe2010
Did you check for trouble codes?
I would say the catalytic converter is failing.

It throws a code every once in awhile, but when I go to check it, it clears out. I think my car is possessed!

Ricoe2010
I also forgot to tell you its not coming from the tailpipe. More the engine compartment. And it only does it if I get on it. Like again, getting on the freeway. Im also feeling a little bit of power loss/surging unless I stomp it. Power steering pump is failing and just changed the seals to my VTEC module. The engine stumbles too when the cooling fan comes on (which I think is normal)

Ricoe2010
Codes don't clear out by themselves that easily. When codes are present, they would remain in memory until at least a few good runs when no codes are detected, usually 30 startups for older models.

Check the exhaust for oil dripping onto it.

Stumbling when fan comes on means the alternator might not be as good as it should be.

Got under the car awhile and found my transmission seals for my CV axles are leaking like a stuck pig. Power steering pump started squeeling today, not looking forward to $110 for a reman. The VTEC was leaking more than I thought. And I guess im looking forward to a new oil pan gasket. Ill have to take the car down and have the alternator tested. That about solves everything. Do you perhaps live around the montana area? Just kidding, thank you for your help.

Ricoe2010
One more thing, I forgot how to check OBD1 codes. I remember using a paper clip on a connector under the glove box while its on but not started. I dont remember which ones to "jump" though

Ricoe2010
The one with a 2 pin connector.