NO REVERSE, NO 2ND GEAR

1999 GMC Yukon

1999 GMC Yukon V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

Hi - I'm hoping to find some help here. I have a 99 GMC Yukon that has a transmission problem. While getting onto the highway this morning, I was getting up to highway speed (65-70) when I heard a " pop" from under the truck. From then on, the ride seemed odd but I kept going (I was late for work!)

Once I got off the highway I noticed something else. When starting from a stop, the transmission seems to " miss" second gear - the engine revs to about 4000 RPM then I let off the accelerator, it will shift. Now I also noticed that it was also not going into overdrive.

When I got to work I was about to back into a parking spot when I put the transmission into reverse, it was acting like it was in neutral.

What is it and how expensive?
Dan051967

I have a feeling your transmission is not having a rough 1-2 shift but a 1-3 shift completely jumping second gear, probably the sun shell gear is no good, take it to a trans shop for a rebuild.

That is the #1 cause for no 2nd gear, reverse or OD.

Blackop555
Hi Blackop555, I just wanted to let you know you got it 100% right - the sun shell gear was broken completely in half. Luckily the torque converter was OK, no problems there. But, the rest of the transmission will have to be re-built. I live in Massachusetts and of course everything is expensive here; this is going to be a $3,000.00 repair. OUCH!

Thanks again for the info, Blackop555. I appreciate your help with this!

Dan051967
No problem, gald to hear I was able to help you with your problem.

Blackop555