DO I NEED TO REBUILD MY TRANY?

1987 GMC Van

1987 GMC Van V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

Hello, New comer here.

I just bought a van for $600 (cheap I now, Had to be something wrong with it, right?). First thing I notice was that going from first gear to second, the van would jerked foreword in a roughly fashion (1st gear revs vary high before shifting). I can nearly eliminate the thump if I release the gas right before it shifts. As I release the gas, it'll shift when the RPM's are declining. If I timed it wrong and it shifts when the RPM's are high, I'll get a thump.

As it shifts from 2nd gear to 3rd, it would bounce forward and back as if it was a stick shift ie. If you would release the clutch to quickly. Shifting from 3rd to 4th is flawless. I get the same thump from 2nd gear to 1st, but not as violent.

Do I need to get the trany rebuilt?

How much driving time you think I can get?

Brian110

Hi there,

Transmissions can carry on like that for ages, or they can just lay down and die with out any notice, if the oil is not to dark and smelly, you may get a bit longer out of it, but I would not be trusting it for very much longer, as I feel it is not for this world for very much longer.

Mhpautos