WITH OIL PRESSURE PROBLEMS

1997 GMC Suburban

1997 GMC Suburban V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 216251 miles

Hi
I purchased a 1997 suburban with thw 5.7 vortec motor, has 216000 miles first thing I did when I purchase the suv was have the oil changed. Went to start in the morning oil pressure was at 40 drove it and started to notice that when I come to a stop the oil pressure would drop to 0 but when I press on the gas the oil presure would go back to 40 so a mechanic said to put 40 weight so when I change the oil I noticed metal shavings in the oil plug ( I think it was aluminum because the metal shavings were easy to bend). So I took the suburban for a test drive and it did the same thing but this time I hear a tapping noise when it goes to 0 oil pressure. So I'm going to replace the oil pump and since I was going to be down there I was going to replace the main bearings and inspect the crankshaft. My question is to remove the crankshaft do I need to remove the engine from the suburban? I look in the repair manual and that what it said dont know if they were talking about an overhaul. Any suggestion?
Rene terrazas

You will either need to remove the engine or the transmission. Reason being is that the Flywheel is bolted to the rear of the crankshaft and the flywheel has to come off.

.

Obxautomedic