POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

1995 GMC S15

Computer problem
1995 GMC S15 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 140k miles

Hi,
I have a 1995 GMC jimmy S-15 truck, and I need to find the PCM module. My trans is not working and prior to this my ABS was locking up. So I suspect PCM.

I jopined " all data", but where they say PCM is located.I CAN" T FIND. PLEASE help me.I have been without a car for over two weeks.

Can you tell me where it is located and how to remove?

A thousands thank you in advance.

Tom
Tjr1030

Hello and thanks for donating

Your vehicle's powertrain control module should be located behind the right side of the dash. Is this where you already looked?

Bluelightnin6
Well, I tried, I removed the four screws holding plate under Glove box, but saw nothing. Just some wires.
If it is located ABOVE the glove box, then I don't know how to access. I removed the door and frame to G box, but it looks like the G box is one solid piece.

IS it. If not, could you please tell me how to get to the PCM?

Tjr1030
It is under the glove compartment area, see if the pic below helps. You may need to remove some insulation / carpeting to access it.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Graphic_590.jpg

Bluelightnin6
Hi, thanks for the pic. Are you saying it is under the FLOORING. Do I have to lift carpet up to access?

Tom

Tjr1030
I am sorry, But does it have TWO wire harnesses attached to it?

Tjr1030
I went to area, lifted carpet. Nothing there. On the side kick panel there is a module attached to it. When I called an auto parts store and gave them the numbers, he said what was coming up was an " air-bag" module. It had one connector.
Is this the PCM power train control module?

If not, then I have no idea's left!

I have a VCM-A. Is it possible that the PCM, or Control Module is built into this unit? Or, are these two different unit all together?

Tjr1030
Okay, I think I know what the problem is. On this model of Jimmy, some were equipped with a PCM (powertrain control module) while others were equipped with what is called a Vechicle Control Module or VCM. If it does have the VCM, it will not have the PCM. Check on the right front of the engine compartment, near the washer fluid tank, the VCM will be located there.

Bluelightnin6
THANK YOU!
I had said this to a former GM mechanic and he told me that I should have three separate units. VCM, PCM, and an ECM.I knew it!

SO, last question, is there any way to find out which harness goes to the Trans Solenoids, and if so would you have a chart or pic with voltages?

I have to trouble shoot this unit to see if it went bad. It's only two years old!

THANK YOU SO MUCH. THIS WILL BE MY NEW SITE TO GO TO!

Tjr1030
Sure, see if this helps ..i had to upload as 2 separate images so one might be slightly larger than the other, but it just pieces together..i think you can tell what i mean when you see it ..

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_2402.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname2_779.jpg

Bluelightnin6
THANK YOU GUYS SOOOOO MUCH. This is my first time here, How do I leave feedback, or Vote?

Thanks Again

Tom

Tjr1030