NO ELECTRICAL POWER

1992 GMC Jimmy

1992 GMC Jimmy 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 161000 miles

I have no power to the electric windows, fan blower, and dash instument panel. Have checked all fuses, firewall wiring panel and find nothing burned or bad. Replaced ignition key switch. Engine starts and runs fine. Was not able to find any fusable link and was told there is another switch in the steering column. If so how do I get to it. Any suggestions?
Mikeswan

Could be a bad main fuse.
Did you check the fuses on the engine compartment?

List the things that have no power and I will check for the electrical schematic.

Fisherman
Check the orange wire that comes from the ignition switch for power.....

check this schematic (if you need the full size let me know)

good luck!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/576_0_16.jpg

Fisherman
I have checked both inside and under the hood.

No electric door locks
No fan blower
No dash lights

Mikeswan
I'll check this in the morning. I'm pretty sure I had power but I will double check. If you could send full size it would help, my sight is not what it use to be.

Mikeswan
OK.

Door locks or windows?

Because if the locks are not working either you have a different problem (the door locks are not switch operated they have power all the time) and the windows. The fan blower and some lights are ignition switch activated, do you know what I mean?

The problem should be on the ignition switch, but there is no fuse on the column.

If you need a full size schematic let me know and we can start the troubleshooting from there.

Fisherman
Your riight it's windows. That's why I replaced the ignition key switch. All the things that are out are on the key swithch, but still the same.

Mikeswan
OK, then start checking the acc. Wire for power (coming from the ignition switch) and follow it to the fuse box under the steering wheel, there it " splits" to the different fuses, check both sides of them (without the fuse : ex. The window fuse, the blower fuse etc etc and let us know on your findings.

Good Luck!

Fisherman