RESET SERVICE ENGINE SOON LIGHT

2004 GMC Envoy

Computer problem
2004 GMC Envoy 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 46700 miles

I would like to know how to reset the computer so that the service engine soon light goes off after a repair has been made to the vehicle?
Foster4100

What kind of repairs are we talking? Is the lite flashing, is it on steady?

Can you check for codes? If there is still a problem, the lite won't go out.

The repair that was made was to replace the coolant temperature sensor. I took it to Auto Zone and they said that was the code that it called for so, I replaced it and the light is still on. I took it back to Auto Zone and they show that it now has no code at all so I'm trying to figure out how to get the light to go out.

Foster4100
Usually, when the codes are cleared, that resets the mil, but, if the problem hasn't been corrected, it will come back on. If there is a special procedure for your vehicle, I'm not aware of it.

Okay, after the guy at Auto Zone disconnected his computer the light went out and has been off all day today with no problems. Go figure.

Foster4100
On obd1 vehicles, I'd take the negative battery loose, to erase the codes, before I got a scanner. When you take the battery cable loose, you lose any memory settings like the clock and radio. You can also lose computer memory, like engine run parameters. The engine may not run as well until you do a relearn procedure or drive cycle. I'm glad you got it.