1998 GMC C1500

Hey guys,

The blower fan on my 98 suburban has stopped working.

About a month ago, the fan just stopped working while on a long trip. I checked the fuse and it was fine. The next day the fan mysteriously came back on. (I had left it in the medium position) I tried cycling through the speeds, and it did not make a difference. This went on for about 2 weeks with the fan stopping altogether and then having it kick back on without warning, once again at only 1 speed.

Well, now it has stopped working altogether.

I have searched the web and found bits and pieces of info, but no ironclad solution. I just replaced the fan blower resistor as well as the fan blower relay. No change. Fan is still dead. I took a 12volt battery and hooked it directly to the positive and negative lead on the blower motor and it turns on right away. This seems to tell me the blower motor itself is ok.

What else can it be? Would the fan speed control switch be the next suspect? How does one get access to this switch?

Once again, my vehicle is a 1998 GMC Suburban 1500. I have 160,000 miles on it.

Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

The only think left to do is switch and wiring
Some time the switch melts on the connector wiring harness
You can check that
Good luck

Thanks for the reply!

I have bought a haynes manual, but there is basically zero information on how to get into the area where the climate control knob switches are.

Looking at the dash, nothing pops out at me as an obvious place to start. I fear I am going to have to completely disassemble the dash. : (

Any suggestions on how to get in there?