TRANSMISSION

1995 Geo Prizm

1995 Geo Prizm

My car is having some slipping from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. There is no grinding noise. The transmission fluid is like new and we changed it last year. I had a transmission shop put it on a machine and they said that the computer was not communicating with the transmission. So they could not give me any answer of what the problem would be. They said that to find the problem would be like experimental surgery. Any ideas?
Cris
Cris51534

Slipping is never a good sign, it could be a hydraulic pressure problem, but it most likely will have to be removed and inspected.

Mmprince4000
I took it to another advanced automotive shop and they said they are 100% sure that it is not the transmission. They are looking at maybe a sensor going bad.

Cris51534
They need to repair, because slipping always gets worse, not better.

Mmprince4000
I read at repairpal that 'at higher mileage Prizms/Corollas (125-150K) the automatic transmissions may not shift correctly, this can be caused by the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) being out of adjustment or a shift solenoid needing to be repaired and typically the transmission does not need to be completely overhauled'. Especially in your case where the condition of the fluid is not bad.

Did you change the fluid/filter because you experienced problems or just as a preventative measure? Do you remember how the fluid looked and smelled before the change?

How did you arrive at the conclusion that it is slipping? Speed not changing when the engine RPM is increasing?

BLUMONSTER