FRONT ROTOR REMOVAL

2007 GMC Canyon • 76,000 miles

How do I remove the front rotor on a 2007 GMC Canyon 4x4? I have removed the 6 bolts that hold the stud plate and the 4 bolts that hold the hub bearing to the back. I have removed the shaft nut also. I can't get it off. Am I missing something?
Tbone53

The hub bearing, hub and rotor come off as a unit. Then the rotor will fall off. You may have to spray up the bearing and help it out with a hammer

roy

This is a "captive" rotor that requires removal of the bearing assembly so you're disassembling it correctly but the bearing housing is likely just rusted in the spindle. The best approach is to loosen the four bearing mounting bolts just about two turns then tap on the heads to push the bearing out. Loosen the bolts some more once the assembly comes part way out.

You can also use a slide hammer with a shoe to bolt to the studs but I would only resort to that if you're replacing the bearing. The pounding could cause little dents in the outer race. That would cause a buzzing noise.

When removing and installing that bearing do not put any vehicle weight on the wheel or bearing unless that large axle nut is tightened to specs with a click-type torque wrench. Doing so will instantly make it noisy.