95 WON'T SHIFT OUTTA PARK AFTER IT'S STARTED

1995 Ford Thunderbird

I have a 1995 Ford Thunderbird LX. With a V8 4.6 engine.
Recently I decovered that the gear shift (located on the floor) would not come out of the Park postition once the car was started.
Now the whole back end of the car (all three brake lights) are not lighting up at all.A mechanic friend of mine told me about this brake shift interlock thing. And that from what I was describing to him sounded like it was a safe bet that that is what my problem is. So i'll give you a run down on what it's doing and what i've done so far.

It's doing.
Won't shift out of park unless the key is in one certain position
My car starter won't dis-engage with the key turning forward then back or out for that matter. It won't dis-engage when the brake is pressed either. It has to be shut off with the remote.
My car door locks are not locking when the brake is pressed once it's started right away anymore. They do lock sometimes but not when they are supposed to.
My hazard lights are acting screwy and sometimes they come on with no problems and other times only one in the front is lighting up and the other 3 are not.

I've done.
I've asked as many ppl I know that knows anything about cars what could be causing it and got a few answers. They've all been ruled out except the brake interlock.
I have checked my fuses and the stop/hazard fuse it fine.
what i'm basically looking for is for someone to tell me where to look and what to look at next for this brake shift interlock thing. And possibly a ball park estimate on how much something like this would cost to repair.
my friend told me it's some sort of rod thing that when your brake is pressed goes into something else and completes the circuit therefore suppling power to both my back lights and my gear shifter. Sounds like my problem for sure. But where the heck is this rod thing and how hard is it to replace?
an answer as soon as possible would be appreciated since now that I know about the brake lights I will not drive it after dark. Plus my inspection is up the end of this month.

Thanks : D
Mistique

The shift lock actuator is at the base of the gear selector, and your other problem could be related to your remote starter not picking up the engine tach signal, try pulling out the fuse for it before you start the car next time.

Merlin2021
What is a shift lock actuator. Is that the same thing as that brake shift interlock thingy. And if that's located at the base of my gear shifter how to I go about getting at it. And how do I fix the problem once I get there?

I'd love to know how to fix this it's getting to be quite a problem not having the brake lights working at all. And plz don't under estimate me.I may be a woman but I can adapt to being a back yard mechanic quite well when i'm explained how to do something properly. : Wink:

Mistique
I got it all sorted out.I'm gonna post this for anyone else who has this problem in the future.

As I mentioned b4. My car would not shift out of park once it was started.I took it in this afternoon and asked my mechanic friend to show me where this brake/shift interlock thing was.

When he looked where my brake is. He discovered that the wire going to my shifter (and brake lights) was somehow " ripped" out of where it was supposed to be and that the harness it used to be in was melted.
So he removed all the bad wires and harness. And re-attached them. Everything works great now. But ty for the help. This is a great site.

Mistique
Mistique, where is this connector located at? I know its a old topic and all. I am having the same issue with my t-bird.

Thanks!

Willyab
Are your brake lights working? If not follow the pedal support or arm and the switch is attached to it, it controls the lights and shift lock.

Merlin2021
I found it and one of the wires was rubbing against the connector and had worn thru. I removed the good connector from the clip and crimped a new female connector to the frayed wire and reattached both to the brake light switch. Works like a charm. Thanks for the assist.

Willyab
No problem.

Merlin2021