TAILLIGHTS AND DASHBOARD LIGHTS NOT W

1997 Ford Thunderbird

1997 Ford Thunderbird V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

My mistake the tailights do not come on and neither do the dashboard lights

I figure its probably a fuse but I dont have the owners manual. What I was able to find online it did not list the taillights as being hooked to the fuse. How can I check which fuse it is?

Also I think I may have incorrectly placed a fuse while I was trying to find out which one it is. I desperately need a diagram for my fuse box. I also need to know which fuse is going to get my taillights working. Lastly I need to know if its not a fuse what else it might be
Myfordkeepsmebroke

Hi
Faults powered and fused differently. Do head lights work? Will instrument lights come on when dimmer turned all the way? see diagram of fuse ledgend maybe a little small

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/198357_Graphic_228.jpg

Let me know
Thanks for donate

Docfixit
Yes the headlights work. Everything in the dashboard works, just not the backlight illumination. For example the blinker light signal. Also my blinker lights work, my brake lights work just not my taillights.

And the final kicker I found out by accident today. When I click the lock button on my remote lock and the car beeps indicating its locked the taillights light up. Any help greatly appreciated.

Also thanks for the diagram but i'm still not sure which fuse I would need to check for the taillights thanks

Myfordkeepsmebroke
Most likely the head lamp switch. Acess switch check for voltage on Brown wire. If none then switch faulty

Docfixit
I'm having the exact same problem on a 97 T-bird with 165k miles.

I replaced the switch and still no luck.

With the headlight switch in park, there should be voltage between the brown wire and ground, but I get zero.

I have the Ford shop manual, and it says " Service Circuit 14" But I don't know where to go from here. Please help!

Jhumphr9
Check for voltage on Tan/White wire at switch. If not present then check I/P fuse PKL/LPS and Tan/White wire off fuse.

Docfixit
I checked the fuse visually and it looked ok ( I had already checked this fuse before)

Then I checked it with a ohmmeter it showed that the fuse was bad!

Replaced the fuse and everything works great again!

Thank you Docfixit!

Jhumphr9
The ohm meter never lies be here if you need further help

Docfixit