PCM

2002 Ford Taurus

2002 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Automatic 135000 miles

Is there adifference in the PMC part versus the ECM part? Ford dealer told me I need to replace the PCM - after hearing cost, they advised I could purchase the part on my own (used/rebuilt) and they would install it - saving me several hundred dollars. However, I cannot locate a PCM part on any website. Lots of ECM's, not PCM's.
Tjlawry

Electronic control module (ECM)
Power control module (PCM)

Talk with the dealer to determine which they are looking for. THey are different.

I am sure it is PCM - that is even written on my paperwork for the diagnosis and oil change they did.

Tjlawry
I would say they are different; however, confirm that with them.

I have confirmned with the dealer that it is PCM, not ECM. I am not a car geek - I'll run rings around you on accounting questions, but not car questions, so please excuse my stupidity. So I still have the original question as to what is the difference and where are suggested places to purchase. THANKS

Tjlawry
Sir,
Can I ask what you mean by "you'll run circles" around me regarding accounting questions? I never suggested you were stupid and would never do that to anyone, and I assure you I have my Masters too. However, I don't consider myself a "Geek". Throughout my life, I have learned as much as I can, not limiting myself to one area of expertise.

Regardless, the only places you will be able to locate a used one is from a salvage yard unless you come across one on another site. If you do find one, make sure the part number is the same as yours. As far as a new one, it is not an aftermarket part. Therefore, no parts store will sell them. I have checked the internet and came up with several places that sell them.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but those are the facts. As far as the PCM / ECM issue, I just wanted to make sure the dealership was sure of what they were asking for. A PCM isn't a cheap part.

To define the PCM, it is the brain of the engine control system. When it isn't working properly, then the engine or anything the microprocessor controls may not be working properly. For example, such items include, and are not limited to, the transmission, charging system, various emission control items, and onboard control modules can malfunction.

I hope this helps.

I was attempting humor on the accounting part. I appreciate the answer as to the purpose of the PCM ans well as the link.

Have a great day

Tjlawry
I'm glad you got back to me. I felt like *& ^% after sending my response. You're right. You could run circles around me in accounting. I love cars and went to school for it years ago (nearly 30) but also went on to college where I got my masters in education. Presently, I work full time in education and part time in a shop. I'll be honest, technology is advancing so fast, one almost needs a mechanical engineering degree to work on today's cars.

Anyway, please let me know if I can help in any other way and I apologize for how I responded. I hope you can accept that.

Take care, have a nice Easter, and again, let me know if I can help you further.

Thanks for the reply - and I did originally think you just had zero sense of humor! In the meantime, where exactly do I locate the PCM on the 2002 Ford Taurus? Local junkyard has one 2002 taurus I can get the brain out of for $40 - but I have to know where it is AND I need the part number off my existing brain ( by the way, my wife would love to get the part # for MY brain - she swears I have missed a few recalls). I have a neighbor who works on cars, so I may ask him for assistance in gettign the part out at local junkyard (1 mile from the house).

THANKS

Tjlawry
Hay:
I know I've missed several recalls. Try teaching high school students. Actually, I really enjoy it. Today they covered my truck with posters (april fools day). I couldn't get mad. They put a lot of time into it and actually they were all nice comments. I still work in a district filled with great students.

As far as the PCM location, according to Mitchel online it is under the hood on the right side of the firewall. If you don't find it, let me know. The plug going to it will have several pins. Here is a picture of the terminal connector so you can see how many I am refering to.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_pcm_1.jpg

Here is a picture from Ford of the PCM mounted. NOTE: When you replace it, make sure the battery is disconnected first. Also, there is a relearn process with the new one.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_pcmm_1.jpg

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions. I have to run to repair my son's motorcycle, so I'll be back in about an hour.

WOW - this is wonderful. Thank you so much - and of course, one last question - junkyard wants me to bring the part number with me - I do nto want to unhook the current semi-functional PCM in my Taurus to get it. Any idea what the part number is?

I'll let you know Monday if I had success.

THANKS again so much.

Tjlawry
Page 1 of 2