ENGINE SQUEAK

2002 Ford Taurus

My 2002 Ford Taurus 3.0l 6cyl engine with 66,000 miles recently developed a squeak or chirp coming from the drivers side top of the engine. It seems to be coming from a black disk about the size of a silver dollar located just to the left of the thermostat housing. There are wires attached to this disk. It is very difficult to ge a good look at it since there is a large wiring harness that runs across the top of it. I would like to disconnect the wires from the disk but I am concerned that it may mess up the computer. Any ideas on what it might be and if that could be the cause for the squeak? Thanks for your input.
Smketr07

There have been issues with the camshaft position sensor and related synchronizer causing various squeaking and chirping noises

TaurusWheel
Have you had any success figuring out your problem? My Taurus is making the same noise and any info you could give me would be helpfull.

Blick
It's a mechanical issue. It won't help if you unplug it. It will eventually get worse and can cause the vehicle to quit running, or buck and jerk.

Flexy5