STARTER RELAY

1996 Ford Taurus

1996 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

could someone please tell me where the starter relay is loc at a diagram would be great thanks guys
Larry35773

Starter relay is located in engine compartment fuse/relay box.I will need engine size and type (i.E. 3.0L 2V FFV, 3.4L SHO etc.) To show you diagram of engine comp. Box.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

Bluelightnin6
1996 3.0 ohv thanks

Larry35773
Thanks for that info. The relay will be found under the hood, in the power distribution box. The power distribution box will have a black cap on it that will need removed and is usually located right next to the battery. Once cap is removed you will see many fuses and relays. Below is diagram of what the relay block looks like and I have marked the starter relay for easier identification..

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_479.jpg

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!

Bluelightnin6
1996 ford tauras 3.0 ohv if the relay went out how would it do? I have tried to jump it off and I have put a battery boost and it still does the same thing. If I keep trying the starter it turns over slow ive had the starter checked 2 times and both times it shows good. When I take the starter off it is very hot to the touch. When I try to start it all it does is click at the starter and before you ask I bought a new battery. Thanks for any help and thanks for the help yall have gave me larry

Larry35773
If the relay is at fault it will normally prevent the starter motor from kicking in at all but you can just swap the starter relay out with a diff. Relay with the same prongs to see if this helps.

Bluelightnin6
Hey thanks for pointing out the IDB box or ignition distribution box. On my Taurus its found connected to the smaller of the two red positive red wires connected to the battery. My Taurus was able to start when I switched the two relays with each other 23 and 24 respectively. I think these are fan relays currently costing about 13 a piece tho some times with relays a good thump with a finger can bring them back to life. Tho I am not gonna trust it

Daysleepin