BAD ROTORS & A GRINDING SOUND - ESTIMA

1996 Ford Taurus

Brakes problem
1996 Ford Taurus 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 116000 miles

I just bought a car from a private dealer, and within a few days the rear brakes began to grind. I didn't think much of it, and figured I'd have to take them in, but then yesterday, they REALLY started to make noise.

They are grinding very loudly, to where it sounds like there are no pads at all, just metal on metal. Also, if I brake too quick there's actually a popping effect, like one big pop.

I'm really worried that this is going to cost me an arm & a leg. About what should I be looking at for charges on a brake situation of this sort?
Trinetterkaiser

Drums or disc? Either way, you are proabbly looking at at least 1 drum or rotor, maybe both depending on the thickness of what is left. Pads or shoes and some labor to install it all. Possibly even a wheel cylinder or two if they are leaking

Jack42
Disc Brakes. And probably both rotors. Any idea of what that should run, so I won't be overcharged?

Trinetterkaiser
Really depends on the quality of the parts you use. Motorcraft rotors are about $80.00 a piece and about the same for pads from Motorcraft

Jack42