RUNNING ROUGH, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT SOLID & FLASHING

Ford Ranger

I have a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT. 3.0 liter V-6 Automatic w/overdrive. 133,000 miles. I have had no problems with this truck until recently. Other day was driving to work & check engine light came on and engine started running rough. There seems to be a vibration in the motor. It doesn't die, there is just a noticeable vibration when the engine is running. I have made a visual inspection of engine & see nothing out of the ordinary. I also replaced the spark plugs. Nothing changed. I understand the most logical thing to do would go have the codes pulled rather than continuing with this system of elimination, but until then, what does this sound like to you? Also, the speedo needle has been jumping when at idle between 10-15 mph. Not all the time, but this started when the engine started running rough. Any ideas?
Steve H.

A flashing check engine light means it has a bad steady miss.A cylinder basically not firing at all.
It sounds like a bad plug wire. How were the ends that snap onto the plugs when yo did the plugs?
The jumping speedo could very well be spark energy jumping out of the insulation of the wire and shunting into the wiring and messing with the gauges.
Look at wires at night with under hood light out. Shake the wires a bit. Look for high energy current running/jumping/arcing around.
I would replace them, or ohm them out with a DVOM to make sure there is not one with high resistance or even a total break in conductivity between the ends.

TobyU
Could be the throttle position sensor going whack-We won't know till you get a read out of the OBD2. You can take it to autozone and get read for free and who knows they might just hook you up on the spot and send you home happy.